Apr 10, 2010

Taking it Personal

I tend to take certain things personally. I have a "best-good-friend" as she calls me, that is wonderful. She's good as gold. She is so fun loving and has a very similar sense of humor. We worked together for a few years. We diet and exercise together, go to concerts, eat out together and know each others' families very well. I saw a picture of her out with friends, drinking and smoking. I was so upset by the cigarette--I took it personal. As if I was offended that she picked up a cigarette. I knew about the drinking before but the cigarette just hurt my feelings. Growing up, that would happen with family members, school teachers, friends, friends' parents, celebrities, etc.

I've often wondered how I got so lucky to be born into an LDS family. Out of all the people in the world...me!?! I haven't ever questioned the truthfulness of the Gospel. I do wonder how others reject or don't know it as well. Or how someone goes from knowing to regretting? How does this happen? I met a lady at her baptism. She was so excited about joining the church--I took it personal. She knew I what I have known for so long. It's so exciting. Shortly after joining the church, she became my neighbor. She and her three daughters moved in with the man across the street--I took it personal. My heart sunk. Why did this bother me so much? She broke up and moved out and then got married to another man. She brought him to church a time or two and they moved. I just saw pictures of her facebook...pictures showing her Easter Sunday baptism at her new church and you guessed it, I'm taking it personally.

Sorry friends, I CARE! I take our friendship very PERSONAL! I don't want you smoking, drinking, doing drugs or leaving the church. So there, I said it.

4 comments:

that1gamer2know said...

And I second it, so NAH!

Kelly said...

I hear ya... I hate to sit back and watch Friends Suffer!
Ahhh Nuts it Stinks!
Love ya!

Katheryn said...

I so feel ya! I hate it when people do things like that - especially when you know that they know better.

I also know exactly what you mean about being so lucky to have been born into a LDS family. I can't imagine having grown up without the gospel in my life to provide guidance whenever I need it. It is such a blessing. One that I am so glad that I get to give to my kids.

Shauna said...

And I promise to never hurt your feelings....
Love these thoughts and totally understand them.