Nov 24, 2010

The BEST Thanksgiving. EVER.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. It has always been a big celebration for my dad's side of the family. And boy do the Gulletts know have to have a great time. We're the kind of family that goes places and takes them over. You know the kind, with matching shirts and all. That is my family. And I proudly still have our 1992 family reunion shirt. :)

In 2002, I was a missionary. Every family wants the missionaries over for Thanksgiving. Let's face it, missionaries make it better. Well, I didn't really want to visit with other families. I felt like my new family members were all the other missionaries. So we came up with the idea that all the missionaries in my zone (plus a few extra companionships) would do our own Thanksgiving. Our preparation day was changed to Thanksgiving so we could enjoy ourselves. We were permitted to be in p-day clothes, watch 1 football game, 1 G-rated movie and whatever we wanted within mission rules. We just had to be home by 9:30pm.

We found a family that let us take over their basement...which was more like a cabin in the mountains. They had big screen TVs, a kitchen, a foosball table, games, comfy furniture...whatever we wanted. Everyone signed up for food, drinks, paper products, etc. It was the best Thanksgiving. I don't even remember if the food was any good. I remember the feelings. We were happy. We were laughing. We were playing. We were relaxed. We were STUFFED. No one was homesick. We felt loved. It was such a great day. We stayed 'til we had to leave. We all cleaned up and left by 9pm. It was talked about all over the mission.

Thanksgiving is still remembered by those same missionaries. We talk about it. We laugh about it. We dream about doing it again.

I'm not sure any Thanksgiving will ever be like that Thanksgiving. And I'm content knowing I will always have my memories.

Former North zone (plus extras) missionaries, today I send pumpkin-roll-thoughts and mashed potato love all over the world. I am thankful for the wonderful memories we shared.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

I love thanksgiving as well! I love to hear your missionary stories they are always so happy and full of fun..... just like you! Have a Super thanksgiving! If only Chicken tetrazinny was involved it would be perfect. Love ya girl!

Amber Miskin said...

I'm glad you had a good time...but I never heard of that, but I was in KS at the time. I remember we were allowed a game, but don't remember a G-rated movie. Lucky duck! Was that one just for your zone???