Aug 18, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

Things are a little rough (understatement of the year) in my financial world. We have a lot coming up that we're just not ready for. All we can do is our best and realize the opportunity at hand for learning and making memories.

And while we are surrounded with "issues" my birthday is coming. At times like these, I try to do as my favorite caller Julie Andrews says and think of my favorite things.

I love makeup. And by love, I mean LOVE. The smell, the feel, the colors, the textures. I love to test new colors and combinations on my hand while walking through Sephora or Ulta or Mac or wherever.

Cruises. I love cruises. Relax when and as much as you want. Eat when and as much as you want. Sleep when and as much as you want. Play when and as much as you want. Seriously, who doesn't love this idea??

Facials. Have you ever had one? They are GREAT! So relaxing, so refreshing, so rejuvenating.

Being spontaneous. Completely and irresponsibly spontaneous. "Let's go to lunch in Orlando or Savannah" "Hey, I found tickets to NYC, want to go??" "Watch out Disney World, here we come!" "

Roller coasters: the thrill, the excitement, the speed, the screaming, the ups and downs. Wash, rinse, REPEAT!

A good night of bowling. How fun is bowling? We used to make up silly rules like "if you don't get a strike, you have to dance" or sneak into the computer scorekeeper thing and change each others' names to some type of inside joke, to encourage a strike/spare so you can see what it says. Then laugh super hard at "Guacamole with Flies" or "Imfittintagoonabootarunwhichu" flashing across the screen.

That's better. I simply remember my favorite things, and now I don't feel so bad. :)

Thanks for indulging me.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope your Birthday is filled with a Few of your Favorite Things! I hope things pick up and start rolling a little better! I think the whole world is feeling the pains! And I'm tired of it! Wish I could bring you a plate of Hot Gooey Brownies on your Birthday and give you a Birthday hug! I think you are Awesome! I think in Heaven we will be able to go on a Cruise anytime we want! Oh doesn't that sound Good! My fingers are Crossed!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Those are a few of my favorite things too (although being spontaneous is much harder these days)! I didn't know people other than me & Jennifer would sneak into the name machine... oh that brings back some memories of my own!!!

Jessica Chalmers said...

Your optimism is contagious! Let's take the kids to the pool soon. And by pool, I mean in the free one at cecil field. Open swim starts at 1pm and lasts until 6!

Katheryn said...

Julie Andrews is the best! That song has always been one of my favorites. Loved your list. You know I have never had a facial - but I really want one! And you are so right - cruises are awesome. It will probably be forever before Nathan and I get to go on one again - but one day!!!

Sorry things are not so great right now, but hopefully things will look up soon. Love you!

Pam said...

Loved reading about your favorite things. I've never been on a cruise and not sure if I could talk my hubby into one, and I've never had a facial either but it sounds wonderful. Hope you have a wonderful birthday. : )

Amber said...

I love you girl! Did I mention it was so great to see you. One of my favorite things is seeing good friends you haven't seen in awhile. Happy Birthday tom. I hope it is FABULOUS!