Feb 21, 2011

And the Surprise Photo Winner...

Last night was the youth missionary fireside. So while singing the opening hymn, I was looking around to see where the pictures would pop up...and guess what I found!? SURPRISE! No pictures at all. They didn't have time to get the projection equipment out. Kinda bummed. But whatever, it was really a great night. So glad I was invited to be part of that evening.

I think my top two favorite parts were:
1) President Rudd (2nd counselor in our stake presidency) singing I am a Child of God in Fijian. I had no clue of his musical talent. (Side note: I'm SOOOO excited his family is moving into our ward!)
2) Shaunna Sanders sharing her very sweet testimony of her mission in France and all that experience has meant to her. I didn't even know she served a mission. She touched my heart so much last night. So many missionaries are always concerned with numbers but she spoke of how she never got to teach one person the discussions 1-6. But she did bring souls to Christ. And the most important soul was her own.

Other things I enjoyed:
- Hearing others and their experiences that made their mission so special to them. Positive outlooks, testimonies in the language they spoke, and how we all truly believe our missions were the best...but I know the truth.
- Our Stake President letting the young men know that when they leave, not to worry about their girlfriends...there will be a missionary coming home to take care of her. And the don't worry part comes in because when they return, some other young missionary will leave a great girlfriend behind for him!
- Seeing the youth and so many of my young friends.
- Realizing I was the ONLY former missionary out of about 25-30 to NOT set up a table. Cause then I got to walk around and see everyone's tables. You know; South Africa, France, Guam, Las Vegas, California, Argentina, Netherlands, Brazil (which that one may have been the most festive, he even dressed in a Brazilian get-up), Figi, Texas, Oregon, Las Vegas, Idaho, Mississippi (mayo and all), Florida, Colorado (not me), Utah, Missouri, Montreal, etc. The world was well represented in our stake last night. Most brought treats from their areas to share. And really, what special Colorado food is there? I wasn't going to serve Rocky Mtn oysters. Other than that, I was going to whip up a Texas Sheet cake...but I didn't want to upstage TX with my TX-by-way-of-Colorado sheet cake.

I was most certainly blessed to be in GREAT company last night.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Dang NO slide show.. well we were lucky enough to get a sneak peek! I loved them both. You are so cute! I would have loved to be a mouse in your pocket to watch you on your mission. The night sounds great would have loved to been with you to hear it!

Katheryn said...

It sounds like it was an amazing fireside. I am so sad I had to miss it! I bet you all inspired a lot of youth last night to prepare for their missions.

Stacy Pettersen said...

That sounds very well put together. BTW, did I ever tell you that Jon served in Colorado? Denver South from 97-99.

that1gamer2know said...

Casey - your mission continues to inspire me. I love hearing the stories and experiences. I really enjoyed this fireside also. I now have 4 young women who think they would like to serve a mission! :)