Apr 9, 2009

Gullett Family Angel

April 9, 1977- John and Faye Gullett welcomed their 3rd child Joshua Haney Gullett into the family. He weighed 8lbs 8 oz. He was the 2nd smallest child in the family. Smallest being 8lbs 6 oz. Our mom was a baby machine!

Here you can see his sweet little "Just from Heaven" cheeks.

Joshua had a big brother named Johnny (6) and a big sister Cassie (almost 2). (Sorry the picture wouldn't come out of the memory book)
Most people didn't know Joshua came to a family who was going thru very difficult times. Mom and Dad had nothing going for them spiritually and their relationship was rocky (to say the least). They were done having children and were ready to split. They told us Joshua woke up each morning with a smile on his sweet face. On good days, Joshua played with Mom and Dad for an hour each morning before Dad left for work.
June 21, 1977-Unfortunately the last time that sweet little morning smile was seen. Mom and Dad's sweet little baby went to be with Heavenly Father. He died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) aka crib death. Doctors could not explain to these two devastated people why their baby would now be their angel. And what an angel he was!

The Jax 6th Ward (LDS Church) of angels reached out to Mom and Dad. They loved them, they welcomed them in and they didn't give up. Mom and Dad realized how important they were to each other, how important the Gospel was in their lives and wanted more than anything to see their little Angel again.
October 12, 1978- The John Gullett family was sealed in the Washington, D.C. Temple. A family that was so close to being broken would now be bound together for eternity.
August 21, 1979-Welcome Casey Rebecca Gullett! A portly little 10 lbs 1oz girl. (That's right, I used portly and little next to each other!) Then 4 years later my little brother Joseph Hyrum came along.
Because of my Angel brother, our family stayed together and became forever. He was part of our family's plan. His short little 2.5 months was HUGE for our eternal progression.
Today is a very special and sacred day for my family. We celebrate and remember our sweet Angel Joshua. Happy Birthday Joshua! I look forward to the day I can meet you and we finally embrace!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

What a beautiful account and tribute to your big brother! I've never heard this story... and I like to think I know your family well. "All things are present before the Lord." He sees perfectly what we need.

Katheryn said...

I have a an older brother too that passed away as a baby. He only lived for about 24 hours. My mom used to jokingly threaten us that we better be good because we already had one brother in the Celestial Kingdom and we needed to make sure that we made it there too :)

Your brother really is an angel to have brought about such a wonderful change to your family and brought them closer like nothing else could. It is going to be so wonderful for you all to be together again someday.

Michelle said...

I never knew. Thank you for that beautiful post. Although his passing must have been truly awful, what an amazing thing was brought about because of it!

mrsarmogansclass said...

Ok, so I am sitting her in our office at almost midnight just sobbing at your recount of Joshua's significance in your family. I knew you had a baby in your family that died, but I had no idea all the details and what an importance he played. That was so beautiful to read and really strengthens my testimony of a loving Heavenly Father that can make a miracle out of such a tragedy. I love you girl :)

Stacy Pettersen said...

Casey, I never knew that about your family. Your story brought tears to my eyes. What a special mission he had on this earth!