Apr 7, 2009

Pork Chop Downs

If you think a funnel cake and rides are the only reasons to get yourself to the fair, you're wrong! As I mentioned yesterday, my 2nd favorite thing about the fair is the pig racing! They have 20 pigs. 5 pigs in each heat...which if you do your math, that means there are 4 different heats.

The first heat had wild pigs. These pigs had names like "Shakin' Bacon."

Here you can see them running for the finish line.
The second heat had domesticated piglets. These had great names like Britney Spareribs and Christina Hogulara.
The 3rd heat...well I can't remember what kind of pigs anymore but they were cute enough to take pictures of! Their names were more like Nascar racers- Tony Stewmeat and Jeff Gortham,
Then they brought out the fastest heat....the Asian Pot Bellied Pigs. These sizzling sausages were quite the sight! This was the fastest guy out there. He was pretty much pork lightning! Can you see how difficult it is to get a good picture because he is moving so fast? I think he finished in 5 minutes.
And here he goes getting to the final turn and then straight to victory lane...but that's not really saying much! After all, the other 4 were still back at the start using the bathroom and eating!
2nd place pig right here...wait til you see the side view.
That is 315 lbs of bacony goodness! :)
These are the three little pigs. They had the hardest time getting anywhere. I think they were too hungry to make it all the way around the track!
Can you believe they actually moved? Not #4 in the blue...but #1 is really working it!
Finally, to get the rest of them back in, they had a 7 year old huff and puff and blow them to the finish line. Well, maybe he just gave them a tap on the rump roast to get them moving in the right direction.

If you've never seen the pig races at the fair...do yourself a favor- go out and root for a pig! You will at least have a good laugh!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

My family LIVES for the Pig Races! Next would be the funnel cakes for me, too!!!!!

Christina Brinkworth said...

This is so funny!! I have really enjoyed your fair blogs!! Great pictures!!

Katheryn said...

Bacony goodness. You are awesome! 5 minutes must be some kind of record. I wonder if he made it into the Guiness World Book???

Jessica Chalmers said...

How funny! My family raised pigs when I was growing up. I have fond memories of those crazy animals. Wish I could have been there for the race.

Erin said...

Jason and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pig races. The first time we ever saw one Jason got to be a pig rooter and our piggy won! So much fun!