Apr 1, 2009

Its Raining, Its Pouring, the old man is snoring

I don't believe he bumped his head on the way into bed. When it rains, I sleep WAY better too!

My mom always taught me to love the rain. She talked about having a tin roof growing up and how they would listen to the rain hit it. It was like music. There was always a reason to enjoy the rain. I even remember being in Yellowstone Park camping out in the rain. We woke up and found My dad and my brothers all sleeping in the van. Us girls slept just fine! We always made the best out of any situation. My dad would tell us we were making memories...and boy did we do plenty of that!

Being home was a little different. Each time there was a storm we had a family plan: turn off the big tv, all the lights and everyone jumped into Mom's bed. We'd cuddle up and watch her tv in the dark and listen to the rain. Days like these make me want to call her up and jump in bed with her.

I certainly hope one day Mom will get her tin roof, a nice rocking chair and a great rain storm- even if she's just stuck at Cracker Barrel!

What did your family do during different weather conditions?

9 comments:

Katheryn said...

My parents house has a screen in back porch with a tin roof. That was our favorite place to spend rainy days. I love the sound of rain and I love the fresh smell that everything has right after the rain stops. MMMMmmmmm smells so good.

Christina Brinkworth said...

My whole house has a metal roof! When it rains it is loud in here but I like it. I love the rain. When I was in Georgia last week it was raining so Angela and I went out and played in the rain. Took a long walk and splashed in the puddles. It was so fun and we were soaked through! Seriously, hair dripping and all. It was a blast...the stuff memories are made of!!

that1gamer2know said...

Thanks for reminding me why it is I love the rain. Our Mom was something else. Let's hope we can pass on beautiful memories to our babies!! I love you.

Stacy Pettersen said...

I do like rain, but in our family storms meant getting struck by lightening... literally. My parents' house has been hit a LOT, and every electrical item has been lost multiple times. Once, we ran out in the storm thinking our house was on fire because the lightening hit our smoke alarms!

Jessica Chalmers said...

Where I grew up, it rained constantly. So when it was snowing and the power went out, we could spend lots of time in the basement where the wood stove was warm and toasty.

Amanda and Steve said...

Question not related to weather: Would you and Mark be able to be our dessert auctioneers for the Young Women fundraising dinner on May 2? I will talk to you on the phone or in person later but I am leaving town for the weekend and wanted to contact you about it before I did. I heard that you guys were hilarious. :-)

lorijolley said...

I loved listening to the rain! But when I lived in Utah I loved to listen to the wind in the winter under my nice warm covers. =)

Mindy said...

I love the new blog name - did you come up with it or did someone "win" the contest?

Shauna said...

My kids LOVE it when hurricanes are approaching. They love the preparation at home and helping everyone around us get ready. I think because we are all at home working together for the same purpose.
They also love after a storm hits and we cannot go anywhere and we have no electricity. The whole camping at home as created some fun memories!
I miss you, girl!